As a Network Engineer, you will play a lead role in designing, managing and shaping our state of the art, low latency network, while staying abreast of new technologies in the market place and making continued proposals to the business where improvements are possible.
A day in the life of a Network Engineer at Flow Traders
After the daily checks, including the receipt of the handover from Singapore, it’s a matter of making sure that the traders have connectivity to the exchanges they want to be connected to for market open. All hands on deck should there be a major outage but there are also times for some project work and self-improvement. A bit of lunch in the canteen or at your desk brings in the afternoon. We are constantly on the lookout for alternatives to make our life easier in support of achieving the company's business directives from networking point of view and an eye on the info board and monitoring systems should there be any failures. The end of the day sees market close here in Amsterdam. Once the handover is sent to the New York office, it’s time to either relax in company bar discussing the day's events with colleagues or head off home. Maybe enough time for a bit of gym.
What will you work on
- Design, configuration and support of global network infrastructure, focusing on low latency and high availability;
- Constant liaison with the business to ensure that networks are always optimized for key locations;
- Configuration and installation of all equipment (new or refreshed) on a global level;
- Co-location (re-)design and roll-outs;
- Network monitoring and analysis to ensure bottlenecks are instantly identified and overcome;
- Develop and implement contingency plans while being constantly on the lookout for ways to optimize performance;
- Provide 2nd technical support for the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Networks (WAN) including the management of switches, routers, firewalls and network-related servers;
- Ability to automate repeatable network tasks using automation applications.
What are we looking for
- 4-7 years of work experience as a network engineer;
- Strong working knowledge of automation applications in the networking environment (including but not limited to Python);
- Professional networking certification starting from CCNP and/ or CCIE;
- Extensive knowledge of BGP and OSPF routing protocols;
- Extensive knowledge of IP Multicast;
- Good knowledge of Firewall technologies;
- Strong knowledge of network management practices and procedures;
- Good understanding of Network Monitoring solutions; (Corvil knowledge is a plus);
- Knowledge of VPN technologies preferable
- Working knowledge of Linux would be a major advantage;
- Ability to rapidly grasp business specific IT needs (low latency, high performance and redundancy);
- Ability to travel to various Flow Traders locations on a couple of occasions a year;
- Clear English communication skills are a must;
- Experience in Low latency switching (Layer1 / Layer 2).
Flow Traders offers you an exciting job and lots of opportunities within the most dynamic of environments with an excellent compensation package. We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with the best working environment, the latest technology, continuous support, and we go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started. We offer a competitive salary and reserve a percentage of our business results for our bonus pool.
Flow Traders is a principal trading firm. We are a leading global technology-enabled liquidity provider specialised in Exchange Traded Products (ETPs). We continuously provide liquidity to the major financial markets. Our sophisticated in-house technology platform enables us to quote prices on many exchanges simultaneously. We also quote bid and ask prices off-exchange to institutional counterparties on request. Robust risk management is at the core of our business, and our risk functions are closely integrated into our platform. Our headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in New York, Singapore and Cluj, accommodate over 200 employees.
Flow Traders grew to be as successful as we are today out of the expertise and experience of our founding partners. Our non-hierarchical approach stimulates innovation and achievement. We invest in our talented, highly motivated people since they hold the key to our success. Our demanding, sophisticated work continuously puts us to the test. We wouldn't have it any other way. We. Love. This. Job.