Junior Java Developer
Junior Java Developer
Flow Traders is a leading principal trading firm with Headquarters in Amsterdam, and offices worldwide in New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, London and Cluj, Romania.
What will you do?
Software engineers in Flow Traders are working on applications that support the core business of the company. Our systems make it possible for Flow Traders to be present and competitive on exchanges worldwide. There is all kinds of code to write, from systems on (or close to) the critical path from receiving market data to placing orders, to systems handling huge amounts of data in reliable, performant and traceable manner. The Junior Java Developer will be working directly with our trading teams to learn the logic that they are implementing and transition the core of this logic from experimental stages into production ready code.
Our future colleague will be writing code, creating participating in the creation of new designs and maintaining existing applications with a focus on performance and stability. Our business users are typically only a walk away, which helps to create short feedback loops and to see your changes provide value in the shortest time possible. It will be common to share a desk with a trading team to be directly involved in the process from idea generation to implementation.
To enable that, we strive to follow best software engineering practices and are supported by the best working environment, latest technology and continuous support from all parts of Flow Traders organization.
How you do it
We work in small teams, grouped by business area. Each team is typically responsible for a set of related applications, and works in tight collaboration with business owners. We maintain libraries shared across the teams to enable code re-use and to have a common view on application architecture. We write extensive unit tests, and have a QA team that supports us with integration testing. We follow agile practices, tailored to the problem area and preferred team approach.
Some of the things we use in development process:
- Java 8
- Guava, Jetty, Lucene, Mockito, SLF4J
- Spring MVC, Hibernate
- Swing, JavaFX, Mustache
- Maven, Git
- Atlassian stack
- Bitbucket for code review. We do all work in pull requests, which are reviewed by other developers.
- Bamboo for continuous integration.
- JIRA, Confluence
- SonarQube for continuous code quality inspection
- IntelliJ IDEA
- Python for scripts/testing
- MariaDB, Cassandra
What you need to succeed
- BSc or MSc in Computing Science or equivalent
- 1 - 2 years post-graduation work experience
- Core Java experience
- Clear affinity with Trading - we want to hear about it in your CV and cover letter
- Desire to learn parallel and multithreaded programming
- Desire to learn algorithms and data structures
- Interest in achieving maximum performance from available hardware and software
- Ability to communicate with technical and business colleagues
- Working experience in professional software development
- Fluency in English
- Apply on our website: flowtraders.com/careers/jobs/tech
- In your cover/motivation letter tell us why you would like to work in the trading industry
- Complete our HackerRank test
- Phone interview with the responsible recruiter
- Codepair with one of our Java Developers
- Face to face interviews in Amsterdam
Flow Traders offers you an exciting job and lots of opportunities within the most dynamic of environments with an excellent compensation package. We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with the best working environment, the latest technology, continuous support, and we go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started. We offer a competitive salary and reserve a percentage of our business results for our bonus pool.
Flow Traders is a principal trading firm. We are a leading global technology-enabled liquidity provider specialized in Exchange Traded Products (ETPs). We continuously provide liquidity to the major financial markets. Our sophisticated in-house technology platform enables us to quote prices on many exchanges simultaneously. We also quote bid and ask prices off-exchange to institutional counter-parties on request. Robust risk management is at the core of our business, and our risk functions are closely integrated into our platform. Our headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, London and Cluj, accommodate over 400 employees.
Flow Traders grew to be as successful as we are today out of the expertise and experience of our founding partners. Our non-hierarchical approach stimulates innovation and achievement. We invest in our talented, highly motivated people since they hold the key to our success. Our demanding, sophisticated work continuously puts us to the test. We wouldn't have it any other way. We. Love. This. Job.